When adults with learning disabilities are making the transition from youth to adult services it can be a difficult time. Support from SLT can help to make the transition smoother by giving detailed reports of the individuals communication style and needs. Training and support for new services can be provided to ensure that the individual needs of the service user are being met.
Specialist speech therapy
The Speech Therapy Practice can provide services which include:
- Alternative and augmentative communication
- Communication passports
- Swallowing assessment and advice
- Picture Exchange Communication Systems
- Social communication training and support
- Assessment of mental capacity on making specific decisions
- Assessment of communication skills and needs
- Provision of communication strategies
- Environmental and sensory assessment
- Eating and drinking guidelines for individuals to take with them to new services.