In June 2014 Quest Training ran a one day course for Speech and language therapists working with acquired dysphagia.
More dates will be arranged in the future, please contact us with for any enquiries regarding dates and availability.
The aims of the dysphagia management course are:
- To provide you with a clinical decision making framework for the management of dysphagia in adults, based on theoretical knowledge and evidence.
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to carry out a variety of compensations and rehabilitation techniques and manoeuvres, understanding the rationale behind their implementation.
- To give you an opportunity to practice implementing a variety of compensations, manoeuvres and rehabilitation techniques to increase your competence and confidence before returning to the workplace
At the end of this course you will:
- Understand the importance of hypothesis driven management plans arising out of robust dysphagia assessment.
- Understand the difference between compensation, maneuvers and dysphagia rehabilitation.
- Have awareness of the evidence behind dysphagia management.
- Have tried out a variety of swallow maneuvers
- Have coached someone how to carry out a variety of dysphagia maneuvers
- Understand the principles behind swallowing rehabilitation.
- Have an overview of the tools and techniques available to you.
- Have tried out a variety of techniques.
- Have coached someone to use a variety of techniques.
This course will increase your knowledge and skills in a variety of dysphagia management techniques enabling you to practice with confidence and competence.
Like all Quest Courses this is a practical hands on course that will present you with the evidence and references to enable your further ongoing study as well as guided self directed learning programme to evidence your progression of competence.
Feedback from delegates in June 2014
“ given me confidence to question my own decision making and make intervention more specific to any individual patient.”
“very practical strategies/therapy techniques and references to back up evidence”
“accessible, specific, thorough and practical (evidence based)”
“helped ++ with confidence”
“Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for in terms of what to do with regard to THERAPY as opposed to assessment”
“having a chance for plenty of hands on practice was really useful”
“inspiration to use therapy”
“Both tutors were so clear in their skills and knowledge, brilliantly paced, clear explanations and reasoning behind all techniques used. Highly practical which is great.”